XenoBot Forums - Powered by vBulletin

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "HyperLoop"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The money and the precision this would take would be outstanding. Money hinders everything, it's one of the reasons why we haven't full explored our oceans depths and the lack of space exploration. Nasa has brought and revamped some serious technology that we use today, yet they are one of the leas funded agencies.

Mentioned
    1323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagnasty View Post
    The money and the precision this would take would be outstanding. Money hinders everything, it's one of the reasons why we haven't full explored our oceans depths and the lack of space exploration. Nasa has brought and revamped some serious technology that we use today, yet they are one of the leas funded agencies.
    We're talking about the guy who made PayPal, founded Space-X, and Co-founded Tesla motors. I don't think he plans to let anything stop him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldn't wou have to include differences in the suns gravitey as the earth rotates and therefore making it stop a little earlier than surface (or more speed then needed)?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these things interest me. What type of sciences and or dedication would you have to take to become like an expert genius and make millies.? Hmm°°°

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea on phisics but, would it be possible to make those tunnels with curves so it doesn't go deep into the earth but it can get longer distances?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always try to avoid replying here since I am in my masters physics at uni at the moment, but exams are over and I got shit to do ^^

Totally not a brilliant idea imo, I think millions of people have wondered what would happen if you drilled a hole in the earth and jumped in it.
    Also you will never reach that speed The maximum speed when free falling at normal atmospheric presure is around 200km/h (125 miles/h) I believe. (see stokes law)
    And since the air density will only get higher when you go deeper you won't even reach that. Your calculations would be correct in vacuum
    So for it to be worth it they should atleast do it in some kind of tube and suck some air out of it B

So 0 chance of happening

But @DarkstaR if you like these kind of silly ideas here another one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Mentioned
    1323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Who says it's not a vaccuum? While the initial energy cost to develop the system would be massive, it would be totally efficient. The math works and the riders will not experience ANY G-forces.

Obviously it is a crazy idea, drilling a hole that deep, precise, and wide, but it's an interesting concept.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstaR View Post
    Who says it's not a vaccuum? While the initial energy cost to develop the system would be massive, it would be totally efficient. The math works and the riders will not experience ANY G-forces.

Obviously it is a crazy idea, drilling a hole that deep, precise, and wide, but it's an interesting concept.
    But making something like that vaccuum is just impossible
    And the energy that would be needed would be insanely everytime.

Your idea about the propeler is a little strange too Like you see on the picture the largest amount of the energy of the electric field is being converted into heat not motion at the end. Better just put a connect the cabbine to a pole like a rollercoaster then and maybe put a plane engine on it

Best system to keep something floating like this is imo the use of superconductivity (meissner) like the maglev train does. But that also requires a lot of electricity and cooling And when I think about it, cooling on that depth is nearly impossible too, but more doable then vaccuum. haha

So I guess the only thing is the rollercoaster, atleast thats what I think

Ofcourse only if we assume we would be able to drill a hole like that, keeping in mind that the deepest one was a 20 cm hole (9inch) of like 12km (7.5 miles) deep.(looked it up!) And the diameter of the earth about 1000 as much

Conclusion : musk is a dreamer and there is nothing wrong with that especially if you are rich as the earth deep is And I guess he could do better things for science then this or his asteroid mining idea

Also
    Geothermal gradient is the rate of increasing temperature with respect to increasing depth in the Earth's interior. Away from tectonic plate boundaries, it is about 25°C per km of depth (1°F per 70 feet of depth) in most of the world
    wikiwikiwikiki

Mentioned
    1323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain

That, using magnetic stabilization, and the "Gravity tunnels" idea seems plausible. I agree it is a science fiction approach, but I'm more interested in a mathematical perspective over a current technology one. Basic math says it is possible, but I would love input from someone on the more advanced side of physics. Also, reading back the idea of essentially making the capsule propel itself seems asinine, so ignore that aspect.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, be would the vacuum help solve the heat problems?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstaR View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain

That, using magnetic stabilization, and the "Gravity tunnels" idea seems plausible. I agree it is a science fiction approach, but I'm more interested in a mathematical perspective over a current technology one. Basic math says it is possible, but I would love input from someone on the more advanced side of physics. Also, reading back the idea of essentially making the capsule propel itself seems asinine, so ignore that aspect.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, be would the vacuum help solve the heat problems?
    Yeah, no heat because almost no friction Nothing is 100% vacuum ofcourse.

It's like feynman said:
    "Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
    ^^