PDA

View Full Version : Everything you need to know about Windows 10

J.Dre
06-14-2015, 10:13 PM
This thread is for Windows 10 discussion, news, updates, etc.

Let's cut to the chase:

What is it? A complete update for Windows.
When is it out? July 29th, 2015.
What will it cost? For Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users, it will be free to upgrade for one year.
It's totally free. No cost to upgrade during this period. Afterwards, it will cost money to upgrade.
Where can I download Windows 10? Click here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to download.
You may download and upgrade immediately, but I recommend making a backup USB installation disk afterwards.

Misc. details:

"Microsoft confirmed that Windows 10 will be free to upgrade from Windows 8, 7, and Windows Phone users...for the first year. Microsoft believes this will solve one of its biggest OS issues for developers, and that is OS fragmentation. Beyond the initial year, however, Microsoft hasn’t revealed any pricing details for how much the OS will cost."

"Microsoft confirmed that Windows 10 will support Cortana, which the company is pitching as the OS’s personal digital assistant. In short, the character Cortana is based off the character from the Halo games and is Microsoft’s answer to Apple’s Siri."

"To go along with Cortana, Microsoft is also creating a new browser: codenamed Project Spartan. :cool: Microsoft's new browser will use a new rendering engine and will support note taking with either a stylus or a person's finger."

"Microsoft wants to push gaming with Windows 10. "We will treat gaming on Windows 10 with as much passion as on Xbox One," said Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft's Xbox division. In addition to supporting DirectX 12, which the company vaguely stated will run up to 50 percent faster than DX11 equivalents, the company announced that users will be able to stream Xbox One games to any Windows 10 PC over a local network."

"One of the biggest issues with current versions of Windows is 4K scaling - everything either looks too tiny, or certain programs aren't optimized for the resolution and look blurry. Microsoft said it is working hard to solve this issue both internally and with third-party developers. Considering that 4K seems to be a mere stepping stone for UHD panels at this point, Microsoft also told us that Windows 10 will support 8K."

More features can be found here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features).

P.S. You will be able to download an ISO (file type) and burn it to a DVD to make your own recovery disc. (Same goes for USB.) Another option is creating a System Image.

Stusse
06-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Have you tried it yet? What were your first and consistent response to
it? :)

/Stusse

Y2Quakepc2
06-14-2015, 11:38 PM
I think i'll stick to win 7 till death

J.Dre
06-15-2015, 12:20 AM
Have you tried it yet? What were your first and consistent response to
it? :)

/Stusse

I tried the beta for a few days... It feels like an update to Windows 8. There are a lot of good things, and just as many annoying things. A "version" of the Windows 7 start menu is back. :D But the "beta" was quite buggy and constantly updating, so I stopped using it. I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 next month, mainly for DirectX 12. I'll let you know how I feel about it then.

Verdict: If you have Windows 8/8.1 already, I recommend upgrading. It can't be any worse.

iMike
06-15-2015, 02:34 AM
I think i'll stick to win 7 till death
Same here :P

J.Dre
06-15-2015, 11:57 AM
I recommend you all take advantage of the free upgrade, just to grab the full version for free (while it's available). Then reinstall Windows 7 later, if you don't like it.

Even those with pirated versions of Windows are able to get the full version for free during this time. Windows 10 is the last Windows OS for a long while.

Luls
07-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Just read about "Multiple Desktops" quickly, seems like it's be really useful for botting multiple accounts on one desktop, while still using another desktop for other stuff.

Nakuu
07-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Installed beta like 2 months ago and tbh I like it although there is still plenty of bugs to be fixed... overall it feels ok though :)

Stusse
07-28-2015, 06:07 PM
You dont need to install, just sign up.

You can then wait for the official release and bugs to be fixed and still get it 4 free :)
/Stusse

Xeno Scripts
07-28-2015, 09:01 PM
I will install it later next week or something. I really like Windows 8/8.1 (after you've installed the classic menus).

DarkstaR
07-28-2015, 09:07 PM
I have the BETA running on a VM and I really like it. I'll probably upgrade. Just hope the 4K support comes soon, my 4K screen is shit with Win 7.

Elvang
07-28-2015, 11:43 PM
I don't mind windows 8.1, and if it's an update might as well get it.

DarkstaR
07-29-2015, 12:02 AM
I don't mind windows 8.1

You have mental health issues.

Elvang
07-29-2015, 02:37 AM
You have mental health issues.

Oh no the start menu is gone :( god help me.

scissors604
07-30-2015, 01:38 AM
oooops

scissors604
07-30-2015, 01:42 AM

Funniest part is its MORE EFFICIENT. You can right click to run tons of shortcuts. And you can search for anything.
What more could you possibly ask for?

Now, just hope upgrading it doesnt break my xenobot :eek:

Xeno Scripts
07-30-2015, 09:46 AM

http://www.classicshell.net/

Problems gone! :)

Fatality
07-30-2015, 04:26 PM

Lol, I feel the same way, I don't really miss the start menu, and I kinda like Windows 8.1

Elvang
07-30-2015, 05:36 PM
It's so hard to convey sarcasm in text...

Bulk Buyer
07-31-2015, 03:43 PM
Got windows 10 yesterday.. it would be nice if they fixed the major bugs like not being able to open settings via the taskbar and running programs as administrator -.- It's better than windows 8.1 for sure though.

J.Dre
08-01-2015, 11:51 AM
I've updated the main post with a link to download Windows 10.

It allows you to make a recovery disk with a USB stick. Definitely recommended for fresh install later!

If you need help, post here. :)

P.S. You should choose whatever version you have (e.g. Home or Pro). Do not choose a version you don't have. Your key won't validate.

iMike
08-01-2015, 07:39 PM
I can't install Windows 10 on my main laptop, but I can on a shitty pc I have :c
I took my laptop to repair months ago, that's the problem? (they reinstalled windows)

J.Dre
08-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Update: I've found out that you can't just create a recovery disk and go immediately to a fresh install (if you want it for free). You need to upgrade first (using the toolkit in the main post) and then after the upgrade is complete, your Windows product key will be converted to a Windows 10 product key. At this point, you may then create a recovery disk and fresh install your Windows 10 as much as you like. Wasted a couple hours doing this incorrectly... But Windows 10 is great so far! :cool:

iMike: It should be possible for any Windows PC, even pirated ones. So, I'm not sure why you're unable to use the toolkit available on the main post.

Vic99
08-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Update: I've found out that you can't just create a recovery disk and go immediately to a fresh install (if you want it for free). You need to upgrade first (using the toolkit in the main post) and then after the upgrade is complete, your Windows product key will be converted to a Windows 10 product key. At this point, you may then create a recovery disk and fresh install your Windows 10 as much as you like. Wasted a couple hours doing this incorrectly... But Windows 10 is great so far! :cool:

iMike: It should be possible for any Windows PC, even pirated ones. So, I'm not sure why you're unable to use the toolkit available on the main post.

Windows 10 is absolutely awesome!

Just one down side so far, after reinstalling Team Speak 3 I can't connect to guild server, keeps saying "Invalid Server Password" and there is no password nor has there ever been, I can connect to any other server that but that one so I have no clue.(seems server side)

iMike Has long as your current windows is activated you should be able to use the media creation tool from Microsoft and use the upgrade feature.

one thing I will mention is the tool did have a slight delay opening on my computer(like nothing was loading then suddenly came up), but it did open and worked fine.

J.Dre
08-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Windows 10 PRO has more options available on the user end regarding being forced to update, etc.

I'll be trying this version instead of the "Home" version.

Vic99
08-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Windows 10 PRO has more options available on the user end regarding being forced to update, etc.

I'll be trying this version instead of the "Home" version.

Yes indeed, Pro is the way to go.

J.Dre
09-13-2015, 04:46 PM
If anyone is annoyed by the stupid notification and wants to remove it, click here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-prevent-remove-the-windows-10-upgrade-notification.781429/) to found out how. I've put together this short tutorial.