PDA

View Full Version : Dell M6600 keeps crashing...

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I've got a Dell M6600 that works fine untill I install a graphic driver. When I do that and reboot the pc, it crashes as soon as I open a program (chrome, battlenet client or w/e).
The crashes is not bsods, as they're not showing any text. I get either a full blue screen or a full black screen. It shifts from time to time, but always one colour per crash.
I've seen somone talking about OpenGL related problems with this kind of problems as well on their M6600, but as i got no experiance with OpenGL and DirectX, it's hard to problem search "in it".

Software:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
BIOS version "Dell - 6222004"

Hardware:
i5 2520M (2.50GHz)
4 GB ram
250 GB HDD

I've re-installed windows twice, as well as updating BIOS from A06>A07>A15 without any further success.

AMD Driver Autodetect wants to download "Radeon HD 6xxxM Series" driver. It crashes after install/reboot as mentioned. So it doesn't help.
The wiered part is that if I uninstall the graphic driver and reboot, the computer is working properly, and I can run any program.
Another wiered thing is that if I have the driver installed > start the computer and let it stay on without touching anything, it can stay on for hours without crashing.

With kind regards, HolmaN.

Kociii
06-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Try another graphic placement on the motherboard .. or is it a laptop?

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
It's a laptop workstation I'm affraid.

Alan-currie
06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
blue screen overheating

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Happens when the pc is cold as well. Happens all the time.

Kociii
06-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Happens when the pc is cold as well. Happens all the time.

Could be something with the motherboard/graphic card.. Maybe send it in or try ask on Sweclockers.se because you are from Sweden :D

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 10:06 PM
I've got a thread ther ein swedish as well, no reply yet tho.
http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/67-barbara-datorer-support-och-ovriga-tradar/1304943-m6600-crashar/

Kociii
06-19-2014, 10:10 PM
I've got a thread ther ein swedish as well, no reply yet tho.
http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/67-barbara-datorer-support-och-ovriga-tradar/1304943-m6600-crashar/

Have you tested to check in the bio and see if there is anything weird?

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I've actually updated the bios from A06>A07>A15. Still no success tho, and as for the BIOS setup, I couldn't find anything wiered.

J.Dre
06-19-2014, 10:34 PM
You listed every specification except the GPU. What graphics card do you have?

Nakuu
06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Seems like some drivers issues if it works fine without installing them. Just try some older version.

J.Dre
06-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Seems like some drivers issues if it works fine without installing them. Just try some older version.

The Radeon 6000M series drivers are VERY old. That's causing issues. The "driver detection" program he is using is screwed up.

Go to AMD's website and download the latest 14.4 catalyst drivers.

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 11:34 PM
The Radeon 6000M series drivers are VERY old. That's causing issues. The "driver detection" program he is using is screwed up.

Go to AMD's website and download the latest 14.4 catalyst drivers.

I driver sweeped the graphics driver and installed the latest HD 6xxxM driver, no sucess tho.
I've started taking the laptop into parts to see if I can manage to see anything on the graphics card.

Elvang
06-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Does the BIOS actually sense that the card is there?

HolmaN
06-19-2014, 11:48 PM
It does, yeah. When I install the drivers for the card, the resolution etc is perfect. But the screen gets black as soon as I open a program such as a webbrowser etc. Elvang

HolmaN
06-20-2014, 12:04 AM
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10390961_10152233055333262_1432375488370047393_n.j pg?oh=49fde76254180c59faa2bdf9f86bf436&oe=54245DBB

Me in the kitchen at 2 AM...

xiaospike
06-20-2014, 12:13 AM
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10390961_10152233055333262_1432375488370047393_n.j pg?oh=49fde76254180c59faa2bdf9f86bf436&oe=54245DBB

Me in the kitchen at 2 AM...

Personally, I have never seen anyone DIY a laptop.

BUT ANYWAY, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

HolmaN
06-20-2014, 01:11 AM
The laptop is now putted back together. The problem remains. Couldn't see any visual burned parts on the graphiccard.

Elvang
06-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Your not using a crossfire setup with two cards? and it boots fine on the integrated?
If your installing have you tried doing the custom and choosing not to install the Audio drivers etc?
Tried updating integrated graphics drivers through windows update then installing your discrete card?

I've also seen that you shouldn't install any drivers for 6000 series past 12.8

Not much experience with AMD, more of a Nvidia guy myself.

HolmaN
06-20-2014, 12:05 PM
I'll have a look at it in the morning, it's a holiday in Sweden today. Thanks for the tips!
And as for the windows update part, it does only install a basic VGA driver, and not the full graphics driver.
I've concidered to try Ubuntu on it, as ubuntu got their own drivers for the card etc. Could be worth a shot, + wouldn't have to format the PC. Could just install it by the side.

HolmaN
06-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Was about to install Ubuntu this morning just to try. But the computer get black while booting from the disk. The installation program is about to start then it gets black after showing the loading screen for about 4 seconds.
This happens every time I try, so I suppose it's far from driver related anymore.
Graphiccard failiure? Elvang J.Dre

Kociii
06-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Was about to install Ubuntu this morning just to try. But the computer get black while booting from the disk. The installation program is about to start then it gets black after showing the loading screen for about 4 seconds.
This happens every time I try, so I suppose it's far from driver related anymore.

The windows loading screen or what? Are you able to login on your user on the PC?

Elvang
06-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Is there a blinking cursor?
Did you get through any of the process in installing Ubuntu? Did it update the MBR for dual boot?

HolmaN
06-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I didn't get to any part, when i boot the disk, a purple / pink screen comes up while loading the program like the one below. It's there for a few seconds befor ethe screen gets all black (as soon as it get's black, I can't see the mouse cursor.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e4lpk9o4_rs/UDIFpOBeToI/AAAAAAAAACw/TPIX9KWxDlY/s1600/boot_splash.png

And when starting the computer without ubuntu, I'm able to enter the computer as much as I want without any crashes AS LONG AS THE GRAPHIC DRIVER ISN'T INSTALLED.
And that's pissing me off.
I'm on it as we speak, writing this haha.

Edit: And as for the BlueScreenViewer, it sasy "no crashes". So I suppose it's not pure bsods. Becasue I suppose it searches for old crashfiles as well, right?

Edit 2: Elvang, I just tryed again, and I notice first now, but yes, there is a blinking corsur in the left corner for the first seconds of the blackscreen. When it dissapear, the screen gets darker.

Elvang
06-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah the bluescreenviewer will just look for crash logs, as for the cursor I mean one in like the top left corner, stationary, but by the sounds of it, it's not there.

Could be a bad download/burn to cd. Happens sometimes. I'm running out of idea's.

dinmamma
06-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I believe your GPU is fried, this exact thing happened to my laptop. I couldn't run any game or if I started a browser that would require flash etc, in safemode I could tho, because then it would run on the integrated GPU and not dedicated. However the effects were same as you are experiencing, it would just turn black and the sound was like it shut down but the screen was still on.

J.Dre
06-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Can you boot into safe mode? It should be F8 when restarting the computer. Also, I need to know what GPU you have.

EDIT: Install the graphics drivers recommended in the device manager again and connect an external display (monitor). Report back what you see, if anything. ;)

HolmaN
06-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I've tried with an external monitor but no sucess.
The blinking one is at the top left for a few seconds after start.
I can run it is safe mode without any problem with the driver installed.
I can use the computer as much as I want WITHOUT the driver installed.

J.Dre
06-21-2014, 02:14 PM
If you can run it in safe mode, with the driver installed, then it is indeed driver related or Windows related. You're probably installing the wrong driver. What GPU do you have?

Start the System in Safe mode. (Pressing the F8 key while the computer restarts)
Go to Device manger (Click start- type device manager in the search bar and hit enter)
Right click the video card under Display Adapters and select Disable.
Once all display adapters have been disabled, restart the computer in normal mode.

If you are able to boot in normal mode without any issues, then you need to update the display adapter to the latest version through Dell's website when searching your service tag.

Also, if you separated the GPU from its heat sink (when you took the system apart on page two), you need to apply new thermal paste. Your card could be instantly overheating, if you did not do so.

HolmaN
06-21-2014, 10:57 PM
If you can run it in safe mode, with the driver installed, then it is indeed driver related or Windows related. You're probably installing the wrong driver. What GPU do you have?

Start the System in Safe mode. (Pressing the F8 key while the computer restarts)
Go to Device manger (Click start- type device manager in the search bar and hit enter)
Right click the video card under Display Adapters and select Disable.
Once all display adapters have been disabled, restart the computer in normal mode.

If you are able to boot in normal mode without any issues, then you need to update the display adapter to the latest version through Dell's website when searching your service tag.

Also, if you separated the GPU from its heat sink (when you took the system apart on page two), you need to apply new thermal paste. Your card could be instantly overheating, if you did not do so.

i5 2520M (2.50GHz)

And the problem started randomly one day after weeks of usage. The computer just got black, without installing anything in ages. Just "crashed" and the problem was permanent after that. Reinstalled windows and such, so having a hard time thinking it should be driver related tho. But I'll try what you wrote mate.

And the computer wont even let me install ubuntu. It crashes before I even get the disk booted (almost), as shown on the picture, it get's to the stage where it's loading the files from the disk.

Nakuu
06-21-2014, 10:59 PM
i5 2520M (2.50GHz)

And the problem started randomly one day after weeks of usage. The computer just got black, without installing anything in ages. Just "crashed" and the problem was permanent after that. Reinstalled windows and such, so having a hard time thinking it should be driver related tho. But I'll try what you wrote mate.

He meant GPU (Graphics Card), not CPU ;)

HolmaN
06-22-2014, 01:30 AM
The gpu name is:109-c29647-00

I replaced the card with my fathers Dell m4600 and with his card, my laptop ia working great. I can browse the web etc with drivers installed. BUT it's randomly just shutting off now instead. No warning, nothing.
I open wow > loading character list etc and baam dead. Like you hold down the power button. It's like it dies.

J.Dre
06-22-2014, 01:36 AM
That's not the name of the GPU... :p The name of your GPU is the Radeon AMD FIREPRO M8900 2GB (aka. HD6970M).

It could be overheating or it could be the PSU (power supply adapter) not providing enough power to the GPU causing it to shutdown. And it also looks like your GPU is dead, if your father's is working. Here is one for sale on another forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/computer-components/740723-dell-precision-m6600-gpu-amd-firepro-m8900-2gb-aka-6970m-fujipoly-6w-mk-thermal-pad.html. You should purchase and install it in your laptop.

Note: Remember to paste the GPU with thermal paste, otherwise it will burn out!

HolmaN
06-22-2014, 01:41 AM
Yeah seems like it, wiered that the computer is shutting down ranomly with his card installed tho...
Theese dell's suck.
We bought 5x (2x m6600, one with i5 and one with i7 etc) + 3 m4600.
One m4600 has been problem free, all the others has fucked up badly. And the more you google, the more you realize what kind of shit you've bought.
the m6600's where 2.5-4k usd (depending on extrash such as i7, ssd etc) and the others like 2k usd.

J.Dre
06-22-2014, 01:45 AM
It's not Dell, it's AMD. AMD makes inferior products. I've had a lot of experience with both AMD and NVIDIA products.

I recommend just buying the one in the link I provided and hoping for the best. Or you can purchase a 7970M and have a little upgrade. It will perform about 50% better than the 6970M, but will cost about twice as much.

HolmaN
06-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Willl this card fit J.Dre http://www.aliexpress.com/item/laptop-7970M-VIDEO-CARD-graphics-card-laptop-VAG/1437849261.html

I'm just about to order it, but want to make sure. There are peopel writing "for HP" etc, but would it fit in a dell as well? Looks the same, but I've had experiance with replacing RAM in siemens pc etc, and they run you over so you have to buy from them instead of aftermarket cards etc.

J.Dre
06-22-2014, 02:42 PM
That should work, yes. But you will need a custom vBIOS. It won't be "plug and play." There's a process you have to go through to make it work.

It's up to you. The 7970M is quite a bit better than the 6970M. http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1736-amd-7970m-modified-vbios.html

HolmaN
07-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Forgot to update this thread. A huge thanks to everyone involved, really! I replaced the graphics card and the PC has been working great since!

dinmamma
07-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Forgot to update this thread. A huge thanks to everyone involved, really! I replaced the graphics card and the PC has been working great since!

Sometimes it's good to have a DELL :) they have made it easier to replace parts, while other laptops would have to go to the laptop heaven R.I.P